Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Rest = Research

It's been nice so far to have this time to rest because I have had the chance to explore new ways to train and coach while recovering. New goals have also been on my mind, so over the next few days my trusty readers will be exposed to some of the things I have discovered. Today's focus is kettlebells. This piece of equipment has always intrigued me ever since starting fitness training through CrossFit. Being a GloboGym member, I am used to equipment like bars, dumbbells, plates, balls, treadmills, etc. But CrossFit occasionally includes things like kettlebell swings. "What?" was often a question I had when starting this program, but thankfully the CrossFit website is extremely informative. Kettlebells

Some have described the kettlebell as a cannonball with a handle, and that is not far from the truth. Just take a look at it:
This looks like such a primitive piece of equipment, but sometimes there is no need to re-invent the wheel when it comes to fitness. We have become so used to the need to have the "latest and greatest" equipment in fitness, but often times we just need to realize that what already exists, if used correctly, can be far more beneficial. My challenge to everyone is to step away from the machines and the new "inventions" and stick with the "old fashioned" equipment for a period of time. You might find a refreshing new outlook on your fitness training.

No comments: