Monday, February 18, 2013

Laughter: The Best Medicine



I know it’s Monday (Happy Presidents’ Day!), but I am already looking forward to Friday. Fridays are unique because I look forward to them so much, but by the time I get to them, I am so tired that I just want to plop myself down in front of a flickering blue screen and zone out. I am sure some of you share this same sentiment. The stress of the week (work, relationships, health) all build up and wear you down.

So when Friday nights roll around, I need a diversion. More specifically, I need a laugh. And a good hearty laugh is the best. By the time I’m finished with a good Friday-night laugh, I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders, and I am able to breathe more deeply before heading to bed. So I have concluded…

Hearty Laugh -> Less Stress = Healthy Heart

By no means am I a doctor, nor have I done a huge amount of research into the health benefits of laughter, but there seems to be enough evidence that laughter is a necessary part of the Healthy Lifestyle equation. Perhaps this is nothing new to you. But as I have become keener with my health, I have noticed that the healthy lifestyle goes far beyond the two typical focal points: Eating Habits & Exercise. In fact, here are a few quotes from my recent “laughter research.”


Dr. Michael Miller, University of Maryland Medical Center--"We don't know yet why laughing protects the heart, but we know that mental stress is associated with impairment of the endothelium, the protective barrier lining our blood vessels. This can cause a series of inflammatory reactions that lead to fat and cholesterol build-up in the coronary arteries and ultimately to a heart attack." And "We know that exercising, not smoking … will reduce the risk of heart disease. Perhaps regular, hearty laughter should be added to the list." Source: http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/laughter.htm#ixzz2LH8MDI3b
Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint & The Primal Connection—“According to experts, laughter really is the best medicine. Not in the mood for a giggle? Consider this: In several studies, laughing – even for a few minutes – can lower stress hormones, boost blood flow, shore up your immune system and even reduce allergy symptoms. Better yet? The effects of a hearty chuckle can last for up to an hour!” Source: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/stress-relief/#ixzz2LHAPlkvM
So, although it is Monday (or perhaps Friday if you are a little late to this post), let’s all share a laugh. Enjoy these suggestions…

"The maple kind?"

Old School Bill Cosby Show

New School Modern Family


"I Got the Gout" Health & Comedy Show with Dr. Dan French and Amy Kubal

Go Hang Out with Friends & Laugh it Up!

Happy Presidents' Day!

No comments: