Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Characters Come to Life

Isn't it fun to see the characters you remember most in books you've read come to life? The family had a chance to experience this over the weekend when we went to the Printer's Row Book Fair. Obviously, Evie had the chance to hang out with Clifford and Curious George. She fell in love with them the moment she saw them. It was obvious how much fun she was having when she immediately put her arm around Curious George.

I also had the chance to meet a character from a book I asked my wife for Christmas. As I was walking around some booths, I saw a man who was wearing a t-shirt that advertised that he had run marathons in all 50 states. That rung a bell with me and recognized his face as the author of Our Life on the Run. Marlin Kessler set out to run a marathon in all 50 states, but it wasn't all for his benefit. His children live with learning disorders and struggle within the schooling that they receive. So in order to make their learning more real and tangible, Marlin takes his family to these marathons in order to see the U.S. and experience some of the places and events that they learn about in school. It is a fascinating read, and I highly recommend reading it.

All in all it was a beautiful weekend in the city!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Radman said...

Hey Paul, lookin' good, my man!