Thursday, May 1, 2008

Ah, Sportsmanship...A Breath of Fresh Air

After being involved in sports for one season, I have seen the good and the bad when it comes to sportsmanship. Track and Field is not necessarily unique, but I felt a higher level of good sportsmanship in this sport that I did not expect. I have seen coaches and athletes help each other understand the sport and the techniques of the sport on many occasions. My shot-putter owes his success to a coach at Northside College Prep. Athletes have made successful baton exchanges because of a helpful reminder from judges. And last-place runners cross the finish line with vigor when they hear their "teammates" from across the city cheering and clapping for their efforts. Now, of course, there are the bad sportsmanship moments, but why should we dwell on those? I encourage everyone to read the story below to remind them the attitude we should have towards others in life, not just in sports.

Helping Out a Home-Run Hitter

No comments: