Saturday, July 21, 2007

Workout 7/21

We were rewarded for our hard work in training with a BBQ. MMM...cheeseburgers at 10:30 in the morning do a body good! I ran with Ryne (named after the Chicago baseball icon) today and had a great time talking to him. Sometimes it's hard to believe that he is only 14 years old because he is so bright and well-spoken. It's been awhile since I met a young man of his caliber. Most of our conversations revolved around "Best of..." lists. My favorite topic was talking about comic book heroes and villains. My favorite superhero: Wolverine (he's got the cool factor too). My favorite villain: Venom (again, cool and one bad dude). The BBQ offered us a chance to really get to know the kids on a more fun level. We played kickball, beach volleyball, 3-on-3 soccer, and played around in an obstacle course at the beach. I wish you all could experience this mentoring opportunity because it is totally worth the time to create relationships with teens who's persistence is inspiring.

Run: ??? miles (??? time) *It didn't matter today because we just enjoyed the time out there on the path.







No comments: